News & Events
The first edition of the NC SHARPPS Newsletter is now available. This edition features information about the SHARPPS Program and recent
activities, surveillance, and trainings we offer regarding healthcare
associated infections. Read what the SHARPPS Program has been up to here.
Take the NC One & Only Campaign Injection Safety "Provider Pledge"
1. Download and print the pledge.
2. Take a photo of yourself or a group of healthcare professionals
holding/displaying the sign. You can include your healthcare facility in the photo.
3. Email the photo to: kristin.pridgen[at]dhhs.nc[dot]gov. It might be featured on the NC One & Only Campaign webpage. (Note: By sending it to us, you give us your permission to
use it on our web page or social media channels.)
4. Use social media to spread the message by uploading to Facebook, Twitter or Instagram using #1andonlypledge.
CHALLENGE your colleagues to join in, and create a community of safe practice!
SHARPPS: Surveillance of Healthcare-Associated
Infections and Resistant Pathogens Patient Safety program is the new
name chosen by the NC HAI team to better reflect their broader scope of
work. This dedicated team of professionals continues to provide
education, training, guidance and outbreak investigation for an ever
expanding range of issues which may be present in the healthcare
Drug diversion is the act of illegally obtaining prescription medications by a healthcare worker for his or her own use. This can result in several kinds of patient harm, including:
- Substandard care delivered by a healthcare provider,
- Denial of essential pain medication or therapy, or
- Risk of infection (e.g., Hepatitis B, Hepatitis C or bacterial pathogens) if a provider tampers with injectable drugs.
NC providers and patients can learn about safe injection practices right on the NC DPH website! Key messages about safe injection practices are provided, along with links to the One & Only Campaign and CDC injection safety and safe diabetes care websites.
Click here to visit the page.