Adapted from educational outreach from the Safe Injection Practices Coalition, the EssentialPoints® activity “CDC: Injection Safety” features a short, engaging video about a breast cancer patient who, along with 98 others, contracted hepatitis C during chemotherapy treatment due to the oncology clinic’s failure to follow safe injection practices.
After viewing the video, healthcare professionals complete a series of questions to ingrain the safety protocols and ensure they are prepared to act on the information presented.
Here are the instructions for downloading Epocrates and accessing the activity:
Get Epocrates today on your iPhone, iPod touch or iPad
1. On your device, tap on the icon “App Store”. At the bottom select “search” then type and select “Epocrates”.
2. Enter your iTunes username and password.
3. Once the Epocrates icon has finished loading on your device, tap on the Epocrates app to launch it.
4. Existing Epocrates Users: In the app, select “Sign in” and enter your Epocrates username and password. Epocrates content will then continue to download based on your account information.
New Epocrates Users: In the app, select “Register Now”. You will be prompted to set up an Epocrates account.
5. To access the CDC: Injection Safety activity, tap on the lower/right MORE button in Epocrates and select “Essential Points”.
If you need additional assistance to install the Epocrates app or access the CDC: Injection Safety activity, please contact support[at]epocrates[dot]com.